Thursday, June 17, 2010

Day 1: June 17 2010

1. Created list of data analysis tasks

2. Re-familiarised self with Excel

3. Graphs
pie charts of cases and revenue by location
bar charts of age and gender by location
3-d bar charts of experience of employee (at and out of Wang-Li) vs time to get a promotion

4. Added values for May resume tracking

5. Started to compare associate resume tracking/candidates passed line manager/received offer

6. Reviewed and edited article for newsletter of Larry interview

7. Read a bunch of promo material/company stats and 50 pages of Larry's book "Know the Game, Play the Game"

Larry is looking into hiring a full-time data analyst but in the meantime seems to have decided that I am good enough. Again I grudgingly thank my education in Chile that had me spending hours on spreadsheets. And thank my time-wasting on entrepreneurial/economics blogs for giving me anything even close to the vocabulary that I might need. And almost wish I'd done the statistical analyses rather than just written essays for bio last semester (the essays I got perfect scores on? no, wait, nevermind, I don't wish that!).

So my 21st birthday has been my first day in an office. Smells like justice! Or maybe just fate. In any case, slightly musty with a lukewarm water cooler and a bunch of Chinese girls. Everyone has a Western name and it's still impossible to remember any of them. I've been taking it all very seriously, writing everything down (including names/schools/jobs/physical descriptions), which is immensely helpful. I have probably done more work today than in the last year, at least in one concerted spate. And that's on 8-hour jetlag! Open office=24-hour supervision. Oh, also, yennow, "open community" etc. Not that I'm not writing this from the office....but then again, it's 5:30pm and no one shows any signs of letting up. I've been awake for 12 hours, I am officially done...

1 comment:

swallace said...

Amazing what you find in your past that can be of use!