Sunday, September 21, 2008

St Andrews--tomorrow

The laptop is still pushing up daisies-hopefully, in a box in a flat somewhere in St A's there will be a piece of a cardboard box cut out with a number on it, which, when e-mailed to apple, will cause them to activate my warranty, allowing me to request them to ship me an envelope in which I can stick the damn thing and ship it off to get fixed. I'm anticipating "5-7 working days" BUT am much more optimistic because Mom's letting me take her old laptop. No files but at least a hook-in to the internet and a place to type/print stuff from.

Greece has been nice, though it comes at an odd time sandwiched between Costa Rica/LA/Scotland--good "bonding with parentals" time, anyways. Looking forward to getting back to Scotland, slightly dreading having to cook all my own meals, but now actually thinking it could be a great social opportunity. A lot of societies do 1 pound lunches to encourage people to come to their meetings. A cheap gimmick or dastardly effective? Time will tell.

Also really getting into concept for my production of Orwell's 1984 (note to self-investigate copyright! Possilbe name change to come...). Conceptualizing it less as a "play" than as an event, taking place in the US elections week or the week after and featuring an art gallery, donations box for torture victims, chalk graffiti all over town by way of promotion, and, if I can get some of the politically active societies in on it, maybe even some speakers and other, as-yet-unthought-but-potent-in-their-own-right *things*. Also thinking of having the entire thing done without stage lights (almost the entire thing, at least-think "we will meet in the place where there is no darkness") and possibly with a Frank Sanatra/crooner score for a taste of irony. But of course it's all unformed ideas, and everything is liable to change. Also need to think more about my TROUPE outdoor semi-scripted theatre *thing*. What's that? Don't ask me. But I'm thinking to hold auditions just after Fresher's week.

The economy is looking scary, but tuition is payed for this year at least. And hopefully I'll arrive in Scotland to a mail-in absentee voter confirmation letter to sign and send back to vote in the McCain/Palin 2008 Republican elections. But hey, I've left the country and I bet it would boost 1984 ticket sales. Also, I need to matriculate and confirm my class choices for this year. How do I do that? The answer, and many other mysteries, await.

No comments: