Sunday, December 14, 2008

Sunday Psychosis

After our party last night (which was fun and amusing if not newsworthy) woke up 'round noon and have spent the day at/discussing callbacks for Sarah Cane's "4.48 Psychosis", which I'm directing with a 4th year friend after exams during the inter-semester break (which is not the Christmas break...we are seriously never in school). Good stuff, we've got a cast of 7, three of whom were in 1984 but can I help it if my people were brilliant? Jokes, of course. It'll be weird--I've never directed the same people twice before.

One observation: For an actor, "acting" is dangerous--overdoing character and scene to the point where they become phony. For the director, ideas themselves are equally dangerous. Harry, my co-director, I think is very susceptible to them, because he'll see or think of something and immediately say, "Wow! We should have that in the show." Unfortunately, 9/10 of what comes out of rehearsal is, I think, unsuited for the actual show (because it will be different--or because it will be the same but the show will be different) so that even if some things are incredible, you often have to settle for second-best to find stuff that is appropriate to the show. This pops up in set as well; we could have all sorts of stuff, but really, should we? I think I tend to approach shows with the idea of the show first (which can, of course, change) and then go to the text, but Harry is all about the text and his ideas of the theatrical elements are much more nebulous and uncertain. We shall see.

And, there are two black people in the cast, which is more than in the whole of St Andrews/Scotland. Booyah.

2 comments:

swallace said...

Looks like you're going to stay local over between-term break, eh?

Unknown said...

dude, you know that this is posted to your facebook and your cast and fellow director potentially read it, right? I hope to god the dynamic between you guys works out.
Love you x