Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Universitas

St Andrews, I understand you not.

Decided on an essay topic for World Religions that is essentially a book analysis. Our library has exactly four copies of said book, so the internet will be my friend.

Did pre-advising for Philosophy, where I confirmed that I cannot have a degree that mentions "Philosophy" and "Sustainable Development" in the same breath. It simply cannot be done, and this is how it has always been done, and so shall it be done henceforth.

And got a 19 (of 20, meaning "almost perfect") on my social audit for SD--the 10,000 word monstrosity I birthed in four days. First of all, thank you dad!, but it also makes me wonder about my work here and just gives the feeling that the amount of time I put into something is in no way proportional to the grade I get. Not that I haven't always known that, so maybe this is just figuring out how to game this new system? I am happy about it and it just more firmly makes me want to go on with SD, albeit with the continued feeling that academics (here) is a bit of a joke. But with devious plans to get an SD degree and do a play as my dissertation...

1 comment:

swallace said...

Congrats on the good marks! You do realize, don't you, that grades are for the quality of the final product and not the effort that went into it. I occasionally have a student come in to my office to complain about the B they received. They whine about how much time and effort they put into the incoherent, poorly written, and pointless paper (and I thought a B was a gift!). I feel compelled to point out that points for "effort" are only given in grade school and that the outcome is what counts in real life. (A colleague, when told by students that they "were really wishing for a better grade" replies, "I was really wishing for better work!"). And street theater sounds like a great dissertation! I bet they would eat this up.