Sunday, February 24, 2008

The last week

The major news is that I had auditions...11 person show, and 8 people auditioned. Damn. Needless to say, we're having more next week. Still, should be doable. Been doing a lot of reading for subjects/applying for a travel scholarship to go to Costa Rica during the summer. I went to the library yesterday and picked up Dante's Inferno (which is actually a nice easy read due to rhyming and short chapters) and interesting in seeing how the Greek and Roman mythology informs the Christian one that Dante builds. Also picked up a book of Gabriel Garcia Marquez short stories in Spanish to try and not completely lose all of that forever. I've also borrowed George Orwell's "Homage to Catalonia" from Callum, which I'm a bit through and is really good. Saw the movie "A History of Violence" with Viggo Mortenson and thought that the script and acting were only so-so, the violence necessary but the sex gratuitous, and that any movie with Viggo Mortenson absolutely CANNOT have a trumpet-laden-soundtrack-reminiscent-of-the-Lord-of-the-Rings.

But things are going well generally--today has been a lazy, lazy day. Last night I had dinner with my cast from the Freshers' Plays, which is always fun and delicious. Intending to get back involved with debates and hopefully some of the activist groups next week, since that looks to be the way this semester is leaning. Sometimes I wish I lacked my cynicism and could go around shouting "viva la revolucion!"

1 comment:

Artdroid said...

Regarding the History of Violence, though not gratuitous, I found the violence oppressive. There was just such a lot of it. I did not, however, think the sex was gratuitous. It is a central piece of the drama showing her freaked ambivalence (I hate you, I love you reaction to her suddenly stranger husband) and his wildly desperate need to reconnect. I thought it was one of the most real moments in the film. The other being when he finally comes home and they set a place for him at the table.