Tuesday, March 10, 2009

And I'm feeling good...

Just submitted an essay. Probably the least amount of time I've ever spent on one here, but disturbingly I feel this is an improvement. Didn't go off-topic, didn't feel the need to contribute anything new and interesting and half-formed (well, maybe in a couple footnotes...), just regurgitated the arguments and slapped on a conclusion. But I have to say it's one of the most focused essays I've ever written, and I think I narrowed down the topic sufficiently since I didn't get my laptop back in time to do any extensive research. Now on to write the one for next week...

As procrastination, finished an art project to be displayed as part of the V-Day campaign (the campaign is a big violence against women thing), which is cool...it's good to be doing visual stuff again, I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed it. Basically took a whole bunch of post-it notes I'd doodled on last year and made a...thing. Taped them all together so they look like a sort of deformed ship and hung them by a shoelace. 3D ART! It's kinda fun, and that gets displayed this Sunday. Been working on Hecuba and Godspell a whole huggy bunch, and really should kick my ass back into writing now that I've got the laptop back.

We've had some good lectures in Sustainable Development on marketing and accounting, which manage to be interesting from this perspective because they're very "protect yourself from Satan!", and are moving on from Leibniz and Descartes to Hume in Philosophy, who I think I'll appreciate a lot more. World Religions has degraded into us watching videos of dumb UK muslims on the Hajj, which is great and informative and completely misses the point. I suppose it's inevitable that we focus on rituals and traditions, but spending 2 full days on the trivialities of a make-it-if-you-can pilgrimage (Saudi Arabia is hot? Busses are crowded? You have to sleep in tents? I'm learning so much about religion!) when you've got 5-a-day prayer and loads of current controversy over whether Islam makes people blow themselves up or not seems really silly.

Not sure where the time goes.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

I am so glad you got your "lappy" back! I love following you virtually.

Trudy said...

I'm glad too! I missed getting a note in the mail to you this week. I was at a weaving conference this weekend and came back with a nasty cold. Next week!

swallace said...

Glad you made it through Leibniz and Descartes! That group of 'rationalists' destroyed my budding interest in philosophy as an undergrad. Can you put a pic of your post-it art on your facebook? Sounds interesting, in a modern art sort of way.