Sunday, August 26, 2007

Day After

The day after I lost all my wisdom (teeth) and it's been hectic. William arrived at 7 this morning to have a nightcap (he works a night shift and was on his way home). I hadn't seen him since Hawaii and we had some catching up to do--then Grandpa Paul and Grandma Robin came in on a layover between Oregon and Missouri and we went out to breakfast, where I did just fine with solid food. Heading home I slept for an hour or so, read some more of the Illiad, then got on the computer. I have a site with Kafka short stories bookmarked which was perfect for my mindframe. I read "In the Penal Colony" and "A Country Doctor." Kafka is a bizzare storyteller, but somehow you can't help but be compelled by it. "A Country Doctor" was surrealist shit (as I interpreted it...maybe I just missed the point), but "In the Penal Colony" was really quite good. It's about a man's tragic love for corporal punishment in a humanitizing age. I'd also reccomend "The Hunger Artist," about a man who fasts as an art form in an age that has lost interest in it. But are based around very concepty concepts (fasting as an art and the specific torture/death machine) but with them lead their characters to very human ends.

The website is http://www.mala.bc.ca/~Johnstoi/kafka/kafkatofc.htm if anyone is interested.

Then I went to Robbies and played video games and got ice cream and watched "28 Days Later" (a BAD horror flick). Life really is very strange.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

brian,
have you read THE CASTLE by K? life is strange indeed.

Brian said...

Not as of yet, but I'll put it on my Amazon list and watch out for it. Who is this?

Anonymous said...

who else?
I'll see if there is a copy of the castle in my storage.