Sunday, August 26, 2007

Failure

This weekend I have failed completely and utterly to do nothing, and this week looks to continue in that vein of failure. Today I finished the Illiad (which I started much earlier this year stopping every 25-100 pages to read something else). I'm certainly glad I did it, and if nothing else it sparked a huge interest for me in the fate of all of the characters before and after the events. Oedipus obviously predates the Illiad and is mentioned several times, but what is the exact time frame? What are Patrokolos' feelings down in Hades about having undeliberately by his death caused the destruction of Troy and of Achilleus? The question is raised in the end, what happens to the Trojan women (answered in another saga, I know)? What about Aias? Hektor's and Achileus's sons? When and where in relation to Troy are the Peloponysian wars? All excellent Wikipedia questions!

I went with my parents to dinner and baby-watch at an ex-students house (she's a professor herself now), which ended up being a good relaxing time to watch my cheeks swell up like puffer fish.

On tap for this week: Rehersal with Cheolseung, hopefully get my license, hopefully get Windows working on my Mac, make it down to New York.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yo puffy,
doing nothing is the greatest thing! (why else do you think that heaven is often depicted as a most serene place where one just floats around, doing not much? . . . not that I am trying to convert you or going there myself) on the subject of the afterlife, my favorite quote is from Mark Twain: Heaven for climate, hell for company. I think he is right. The most interesting forums are probably held down under. . .