Saturday, January 26, 2008

In Egypt

William, you are a god. Your sister is very nice too. :)

Arrived around 11PM on the 22nd, picked up by Shawn (good thing too...they don't have...ummm....addresses here). Thank god for having him here--his command of Arabic is fairly basic, but he's gotten to know some people and is good enough to not get ripped off as much as the normal whitey. I'm stealing the wireless from somewhere else and a roomate's computer to write this.

What have I done so far? Walked around downtown a fair bit (where the apartment is), eaten lots of fun food, smoked shisha (big part of the culture here...coffee/tea and shisha shops all over the place), gone on a ferry down the Nile, had dinner with William's sister Maggie and Shawn last night, and today (when it rained!) went to the Egyptian museum--tomorrow, riding horses to see pyramids. Ahhhh life! I'm keeping a semi-journal that I'll post along with impressions once I'm back.

Also, I think I miscalculated. January 22nd was my last exam, and I got here on the 23rd. Next term starts on February 11th, meaning that rather than the exactly 2 weeks cut down by flying time that I thought I had, I have nearly 3. Sweet. Shawn leaves on February 4th I believe...we'll see what I do. We will see.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you... how is my sister doing? more specifically, what is she doing? she tells me she is a "contractor" working for "the company" and we all know what that means...
hey how's their coffee? can you bring some back? (without the shisha, that way you do not get arrested at customs) if not, that's ok too.
peace,

swallace said...

Sounds great! Thanks for the post. Concerning your calculation of how long your between semester break is, part of the confusion is probably that it goes across two months. Do you remember our vacation in Costa Rica where I was off by a week in all of our reservations because of that?

Anonymous said...

Or the fact that Brian has not learned his months!... Might be contributing to his miscalculation. Love you!