Thursday, September 27, 2007

Awake.

I did indeed wake up from my nap. And good call Art--eager to begin SCHOOL, the drinking has been going on for a while.

Today is a bit of an empty day, but tommorow I meet my advisor and finalize subjects. I'm going to take Mind and Reality in philosophy, and then Introduction to International Relations and Psychology 1. I was going to do economics with psychology, but psychology is taught as a hard science with lots of labs and instruction in statistics, and economics apparently isnt a great department and on top of that is all calculus, SO. Everyone and their mother does International Relations, but it does sound interesting!

I got academic parents last night (a tradition, essentially, where 3rd or 4th years "adopt" 1st years...and there are a bunch of activities but its mostly an excuse to befried older people who know the system, and, as with everything, drink). Not yesterday but the day before I went and listened to professors talk about their subjects (in some of the areas I was intersted in) which got me quite fired up.....engaging speakers without acting like they are selling you a product.

I'm off to brush my teeth, take a shower and start the day. God it's cold.

5 comments:

tsonia said...

Glad it's school you're anxious to begin, Bri. I was beginning to worry! (just joking) Sounds like you've been busy getting things together. Hope you feel like you've found your sea legs, since that's what orientation is supposed to be about. Cold, huh? Hope you're dealing with it okay. Let me know how many sweaters you want me to get you for Christmas!

swallace said...

I see it's working. They give you a week to get tired of drinking and partying so that when the real term begins you're ready to give it up during the week days!

Encounter any other interesting people along the way?

swallace said...

Taking IR should be interesting. What is the Scottish take on the US and England's approach to the world? You should try to look at the New York Times or LA Times on-line daily to get the US view as a contrast to a (hopefully more rational) Eurocentric view! I'm sure it's different.

Anonymous said...

hum, mind and reality sounds interesting... can you do so without engaging the mind?

Artdroid said...

Glad you're skipping Economics for now. It's really just a branch of VooDoo. International Relations should be interesting - the US perspective: Who has the oil and how do we get it?