Friday, September 07, 2007

So

It's been a while since I've posted. I've had a busy time of it withdrawing and detaching from everything without doing a bit of packing. I got my drivers license yesterday and visited with Uncle Joe and Aunt Angie. Today I finished up a Psych experiment I agreed to take part in at UCLA for $150. It's my non-job, but good money for sitting around taking a few tests around my schedule. Hopefully I'll see everyone I want to see over this weekend and spend Monday and Tuesday packing and getting ready. I've been having a somewhat unexpected reaction to this leaving shit: one week of dreadful boredom, now one week of incurable mopiness and detatchment. But I plan to make the best of this weekend and next week.

We leave nighttime on Wednsday. Lots to do...

5 comments:

tsonia said...

Don't forget you said you'd do lunch with Virginia on Monday.

tsonia said...

And your 8am appointment with Agaloo

Artdroid said...

Leaving is becoming less abstract so you're probably feeling a bunch of things and a little sad.

swallace said...

Having never moved away from home and friends before, this is both exciting and sad. Moving long distances never really becomes "easy," I don't think. But here is where modern communications takes out some of the sting since you can easily remain in contact with those who you want to. I don't remember how I felt when driving away from home for college, but I do remember the first few weeks being very lonely (not that I ever had a second of regret). After making new friends (which occurs much faster in dorms than elsewhere) I felt right "at home" in Santa Cruz.

Artdroid said...

And & as you alluded to) this is where technology may actually provide a qualitative change of who we "are" in the world. In ancient times, when people went away, they were quite "gone" and "out of touch" for a very long time. Now we are hardly "gone" at all. We just add new people and experiences to the mix!