Friday, September 28, 2007

Matriculated!

So, I've gotten a little card that I can use for ID at the student union and pubs and a couple pieces of paper. I'm now officially part of the university.

And somehow...I actually feel different. Like things are starting to come together, like the panicky excitement of the first week has receded. I can walk by the thousand year old church without gawping, I can go down the street at sunset without staring at the sky. I can tell if someone is from Glasgow or Dundee by their accent. Classes start on Monday, at 10, 11, and 12 in a neat little block that should exhaust me just in time for lunch. Today there is a Philosophy reception at 4:30 which should be good, on Sunday there is a Societies Fayre (thats how they spell it here!) where I need to do what I've been desperately neglecting and check out the arts programs here. So. Life is good. Now that I'm a REAL student I feel pretty in control. And then classes will start. But I've got a couple days until then.

I love you all.

3 comments:

tsonia said...

I'm glad things are comming together for you, Brian. But I'm disappointed that you're not still gawping. Why go half way across the world to school unless it's to gawp (what a great verb, by the way) each and every day! I'm amazed you've got the accent thing figured out to the level of Glasgow vs Dundee. Which do you sound like right about now? I love you.

Artdroid said...

I want to echo your Mom - keep GAWPING! When I was younger - shall we say - (all right, MUCH younger), I was very jaded. I thought I understood the world and that there was nothing new under the sun. I had it wired. Thus, I missed a LOT! Now that I don't know anything and I'm slipping relentlessly into dementia, the world is much more interesting. So - keep gawping (minus the dementia part). Glad to hear things are coming together.

tsonia said...

By the way, I want to see photos in this blog of the things that are making you gawp. You have to give some of us vicarious gawping pleasure!