Friday, October 19, 2007

1st Rehearsal

Ahhh today. I only had psychology, but then is afternoon I went along and looked at props/costumes that they have avaliable (not that much, or possibly just not that well organized), auditioned for the improv troupe (they do auditions the same way they do for plays where you walk into the room, they sit there, one of them does 2 improv games with you, they say "thanks very much, we'll send you an e-mail about callbacks." Huh.). Then I went and signed up to be treasurer for the Fresher's debate, which is basically a debate run and organized by Freshers. I've got £100 for my show, I want to see more money! Basically the job is arranging payment for guest speakers' flights and accomidations, which I figure will be really useful and interesting experience without TOO much work.

But onto the title. My first rehearsal was good, I felt, an hour long total, which was about right for me and for Friday night. My cast came in within the space of about ten minutes, and we chatted a bit as they came in--just the usual "what are you studying? what hall are you in?" crap. When everyone was in I felt a bit odd springing wierdness on them all at once, so I started with two "starter" games I found online. I had them line up (they had naturally formed a line anyways) in order of height, shoe size, age, health (physical and mental) and hygiene. Then I had one start walking, another follow trying to walk the same way. Gradually got everyone in there, started music, and began the Cheolseung-ness. Had various actions, eventually culminating in the group of six forming three pairs each doing independent actions. Ended up with a little mini love story, and a story of persecution, again in good Cheolseung fashion. Love story was easy enough, the persecution one started with me asking them individually to make a face at the others and giving the others different reactions. The ending was good, and then I had them circle up and talk a little. One girl has done a "movement-based modern piece which didn't turn out too well" and was very cynical (funnly enough, also the best one), and one guy is, just from how he acts, a bit skeptical of it all, but it's good enough.

Next rehearsal I'm going to turn this one on its head and spend the entire time playing comedy improv games. Then the one after that I want to pair them up and have them do groupwork. I've got an interesting mix...an english girl and guy, a scotish girl and guy, a german girl, and an indian girl. Good stuff. We'll see how we all get along.

But it's Friday night. So...

3 comments:

swallace said...

Funny... in the US it is unlikely that we'd say "two Scots and two English." They'd all be English over here. It will be interesting to see how your Korean-American directing style will go over with your group of Brits ;-)

Tomorrow we (mom, William, Choelseung & I) go see "Sir" Ian McMcKellen perform in Chekov's Seagull. Do Scots aspire to be knighted, or is it seen as a sell out???

Anonymous said...

brydawg, i am delighted to see cheolseung has left an indelible print on your directorship... the question remains, "how buto can you go?" I eagerly await the response these 6 will have when you turn them on their heads!

Anonymous said...

its too bad you are going to miss sir ian. i saw him almost ten years ago in richard III and remember it as if it were yesterday. will give you a report of our post-performance critical review.
a scotsman once asked me why it is that the sun never sets on the British empire. The answer is that the Brits cannot be trusted in the dark! for what it worth, steve, that is my assessment of the scottish sentiment with regards their neighbor.