Saturday, October 13, 2007

Guess I haven't updated in a while...

But everyone's off watching the rugby right now (England v. France...awkward. The English contingent will be supporting England, the Scots will all support France, since they're playing against England, and the Scots support ANYONE who plays against England.) and I figured I might as well update.

Nothing of significance continues to occur. I really like my IR tutorial--extremely confident, dark-humored female Russian PhD student teaching it, very interesting. I am disgustingly on top of my work and feel like I should be doing more. I'm sure that won't last long.

We've had two days of auditions and seen lots of people who should be good to work with. Callbacks were supposed to be today but the e-mail failed to send so we waited for an hour while no one showed up and went back home. Ah well. There's a bonfire tonight after the rugby, so that should be good.

Robbie's away in Glasgow this weekend getting stuff sorted out, so I've got my room to myself. It's honestly a bit lonely, seeing how big the room is.

I've been making an effort to meet people from other halls, which has been going fairly well. Earlier this week I was quite discontented with the shallow relationships everyone has, but I'm getting over that (the shallowness, and the discontent...). So...

5 comments:

swallace said...

Relationships start, almost by definition, as shallow since it takes time to get to know people and share thoughts and events. The trick is figuring out who to spend time with to get to know better.

Anonymous said...

brydawg, would you rather have relationships that start super deep and end shallow?

Anonymous said...

ah, ENGLAND vs. FRANCE. the battle of agincourt comes to mind... i believe france lost that one, but the lore of "plucking yule" and "flicking the 'bird'" is not lost on linguists. if you cannot find these interesting items on wikipedia, look for war historian John Keegan's recounting.

Unknown said...

I know what you mean about having the room to yourself. My roommate last year was REALLY messy, and one weekend she went on a retreat and cleaned up her side of the room as a treat for me. But it was so clean with her gone that it felt SO empty... it gave me the heebie jeebies.

Yeah, everyone is pretty much right. People are always shallow at first because no one lets out their true personalities until they feel comfortable. It's only been what, 3 weeks that you've lived there, now? You'll be fine.

Artdroid said...

I want to echo your dad, it takes time. It is a subtle dance, figuring out who works and who doesn't. Take the thoughtful time now, even if you're a little lonely, to feel/figure out the right people and it will all work much better down the liine. I've had the experience of things starting "super deep" and ending shallow - not fun!