Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Procrastination

is a wonderful thing. What I should be doing? Reading about international institutions for tommorow's tutorial.

What exciting new things have happened since Monday? Yesterday I was scattered and meant to go take part in a psychology experiment for £££...but forgot. Meant to go to a public speaking workshop at 7.30...but forgot. And not the "I should be doing something, I wonder what?" forgetting--no, this was blissful, straight-ahead, full-steam, "I'm doing my thing and am not going to bother checking my diary (calander...they call it diary here)" forgetting. Ah well.

Last night felt lonely. Felt like I don't know that many people, don't have any really solid friendships here.

Today went to classes as usual, went to a debates training thing from 2-5. Debated the merits and demerits of making the morning-after pill perscription only, and on banning ransom payments for hostages. I never think I'll enjoy it, and then I do. And, even though its just a bunch of windbags going off, I always feel like I've learned something. It's interesting also...I get the feeling that a lot of the people in debating are "public school" (what they call private school in England) conservatives, but they all know how to sound nice and PC, so I'm the one who comes up with outrageous propositions that make them squeal because they're not padded with political correctness. Today it was "ransoms give value to the lives of hostages" and "demanding ransoms is at least a means and a channel of communication".

Tonight I sat with William during dinner, a 3rd year phsyics guy who is older (around 26 I think) and very into philosophy...he lent me a book for my essay and has asked me a couple times if he can read the essay, which I sent him tonight. After dinner gave more people from the annex a tour of the robottle. Then sat and discussed life with Katie, my play with Chris (the usual writer who doesn't write, but he has ideas, he's just got to sit down and go for it), and psychology with Katie. She had a question/experiment idea, so we e-mailed one of the psych professors about office hours to go in and see what he thought of it. I read a proposal on Marginal Revolution (I think) a while back that undergrads would be well served to try to get to know one professor a semester. First for intellectual stimulation/interest/nice person-ness, and second because that means that by the end of 4 years you will know 8 professors. This means knowing prominent members of various fields who can give you reccomendations/ideas/suggestions/references/whatever. This was partly what I had in mind with the Christian lunch I never made it to, and I think that if I can let that ideal override any intimidation I may feel it will be worthwhile.

I feel much less lonely tonight. I also feel like I'd better start reading and answering these questions. But its only 11.30. The night is young!

3 comments:

Artdroid said...

Don't feel too bad about the 'friends" thing yet. You've only been there a month! You have to spend time with people. It takes time. "Solid" friendships take years. Sounds like you're putting yourself out there - being social. I have no doubt that things will pick up!

Artdroid said...

More thoughts - Being alone for periods of time - being with yourself - is not rewarded in this society. It is considered odd and unhealthy. We are supposed to always be upbeat and always be extroverted.

I think this attitude is unrealistic and silly

Spending time with yourself is most important. You are the person you are always with - ya can't shake'em. Most of us spend most of our lives playing hide-and-seek with ourselves. But, eventually, you have to sit down and make friends because you aren't going away and you can't send you on vacation without going with you. There is just no getting around you.

it's just as important to get to know yourself as you get to know others. Otherwise, you end up projecting at other people or "distracting" yourself with other people rather than "relating" to them.

swallace said...

Yes, true friendships take time. I seem to remember that it took until after Christmas during my first year of college to start to feel that my primary friends were there.