Monday, November 05, 2007

Remember remember the 5th of November...

Guy Fawkes day! And they celebrate it! People have been setting off fireworks for the entire week, and tonight is going to be mental.

Good day overall. Handed in my IR essay, and I feel alright about it. Philosophy and psychology as usual. I suprisingly really enjoyed my philosophy tutorial today...same people, tutor as before--but we were talking about Descartes and "cogito ero sum" and his training in philosophy of languae got to kick in. When he knows what he's talking about, hes an alright guy.

Speaking of which: Mom, you did Latin...cogito, as in cognition, cognecer, etc. Ergo, ergo. Sum....is the direct translation really "I am"? "Sum" if its the "sum" of summation and summary and sums seems to carry a connotation of bringing things together, making many things one, concise. I might be full of shit, though.

Spent 30 minutes of my life watching the same fucking 3 minute video clip of babies over and OVER again my pschology lab as part of a professor's experiment that we are subjects for and are going to write lab reports on. Woo hoo. I may stab myself.

And next, there's dinner.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

did you know that the sound of a crying baby is the most disturbing sound to us? most people have a threshold of less than 3 minutes, according to a recent article published in the new yorker detailing some study... the study did not, however go in to details about stabbing oneself, so "further studies may be required"...

tsonia said...

cogito -- first person present of the verb to think
ergo -- therefore
sum -- first person present of the verb to be. (sum, es, est, sumus, estis, sunt if memory of the conjugation serves me correction)

Not sure if sum comes from that root. Although it's an interesting concept.

swallace said...

After all those clips of babies, did you start having visual hallucinations of martini skewers as well? What would your psych prof make of that!

Brian said...

William, where exactly do I go on goZED to get where I need to be? Theres all sorts of "discounts" but i dont see where to log in and see flights...gah.

On the bright side, I forgot to mention in this post that we are building a life-sized person out of bottles. Christened "the robottle".

Artdroid said...

There's nothing wrong with, "I think, therfore I am." Something seems very commonsensible about it. I'm just not sure that when I stop thinking, I'm not.