Sunday, March 02, 2008

Relaxation weekend

As per the title. I got a bit drunk off of free wine Friday night (be careful when you have a paid-for dinner at a nice hotel...they re-fill your glass). Cool enough, talked a bunch of old university hands, but had what I'd consider my first *real* hangover Saturday. Moved my bed over to my desk to get on the internet without getting out of bed, and liked the arrangement enough that I've switched my room around to make it permanent. Sweet. Jim had a rough night Friday (separate from me, but it ended with him cutting open the back of his head) so he spent the afternoon in my room recouping. Robbie was in Glasgow for his little sister's birthday, and that night was a nice quiet night of playing Andrew's new(?) Wii in his room. Fun stuff. Today I've mostly stayed in and read. I took a couple books out of the library the other day: a "philosophy of SD"-type book, and a "oooh corporations are evil!"-type book, which is actually quite good. The first few chapters are basically a list of organizations in the US, UK, and Australia that look like environmental grassroots groups but are puppets of corporations. Funny stuff, and some scary stuff. All sorts of stuff about private think tanks influencing government and media, directly targeting schools and kids, the "wise use movement" as an environmental anti-environmental group controlled by industry. ITS ALL A CONPSIRASYY! But cool stuff, even if I don't trust it 100%.

This week had better be cool. Tomorrow I've got 3 lectures, a lab, and a tutorial--I have 2 free hours before dinner.

3 comments:

tsonia said...

So now I know you'll always be on your bed pounding away at the keyboard! Desk? Who needs a desk?

Artdroid said...

it is always fun to have fun.

But don't get too enamored of hangovers. Hangovers are a waste of time (And, as you know, I've wasted a lot of time...:-) I was exactly your age in college when I got my first hangover. It was far worse than anything you've described here. I almost drowned in the bathtub. I was taking a shower and slumped - passed out - over the drain and the water was rising over my nose. A distant, interior voice was saying, "You must get your shoulder off the drain, Art." I moved half-an-inch and lived to tell the tale.

I was telling a man, who was about as old as I am now, about it and I remember saying, "Boy, did I learn my lesson!" He looked at me thoughtfully and said, "Hmmmh ..... no you haven't. I think it will take you about 30/40 more years." Oh well - successful prophets always annoy me (unless I'm doing the prophesy).

On another note, I don't think you will ever have any trouble doing and accomplishing things. Your like your Dad that way. I think you should cultivate sitting still. Once you get past the boredom, the world slows way down and then stops. Very interesting things start to happen.

swallace said...

When the world stops is it time to get off of it?