Saturday, November 08, 2008

The story so far...

Lesson 1: Gateagents are clueless and absurdly helpful--despite dire warnings got to heathrow just fine, no fuss. Slept a bit on the bus and the flight, as I didn't the night before (packed mostly, showered, all that good stuff).

Lesson 2: Not being able to check flight fullness is a bitch. After some confusion because the flight to Amman is a BA/BMI codeshare (crossing Star and OneWorld...God, what hast thou done?) I went and waited at the gate as one of two standbys. Other guy got on, I didn't, but the gate agent was really cool and told me to try Royal Jordan (flight j122 if you want to track) in the other terminal. The flight that I tried to get today is tomorrow, of course, nearly empty. Worst comes to worst I sleep here and get it tomorrow.

Lesson 3: When buying rum as a gift to bring from duty free, make sure they actually seal the bag. Going between terminals I just managed to get them to let me keep the rum.

Lesson 4: Apparently, my passport sets off metal detectors. Or rather, one metal detactor and the handheld one. Wierd.

Lesson 5: Gate agents are very, very helpful. Royal Jordanian, who have no reason to help me, and for whatever reason are located at the Air Canada desk (?), are going to see what the flight looks like in 20 minutes and, if there are seats, the nice lady will spend some quality phone time with someone who knows how to work the wonderfully simple and intuitive system to get me on! So if it works out, it's just a couple hours setback. If not...well, I suspect I'll have another blog post.

1 comment:

swallace said...

Does this give you any hope about there being a generally good side to human nature?