Saturday, October 25, 2008

Great article

http://www.thesmartset.com/article/article10100801.aspx

On the failing of education....from a man who writes other people's term papers. The conclusion: People can't write because they aren't reading--"But that's standard!"--because they aren't reading term papers. Thinking about it, I always loved the peer-review and edits in class because it meant that I got to see what other students were doing, where everyone clung to the same points and the few little jumps of genius. And in return for fixing some typos I'd get to steal some genius and give the common ground, stylistically and thematically, a wide berth. Before writing my last philosophy article, I went online and looked up what the professor had written on the dialogue or essay was on. The topic was completely different, but her loopy writing style and pointedly logical steps gave me the framework I needed to write the essay in two hours.

Now I'm struggling with another essay, and I think, after reading the article, that it's because the professor is from Biology, a 'foreign' discipline, and the essay itself on a massively vague topic. So what's next? Let's check out what the professor has written. I've been looking for sources covering the same topic, but since I'm vague on what the topic even is let's just start with style.

1 comment:

swallace said...

Interesting idea for ideas about how to structure a paper. Remember, tho, that most professors (not all) are more interested in seeing a spark of original thought from you than a skillful parroting back of their own ideas. Could they also be interested in stealing some genius?