Monday, October 27, 2008

This is what it means to be at Uni

I'm not going to my 1PM lecture. I am not ill. The lecture is very much on, same time as always, same stuff in SD. But this week, the lecturer happens to be profoundly boring, utterly incoherent, and reliant on Wikipedia for much of the information on his slides. At least he cites it, bless him. So I am not going. I'll go tomorrow, because the topic should be decent though he is not. But today, I'll take that hour to do reading instead. It feels really good to say, "fuck you, you're a terrible lecturer, so I'm just not going to go. I'll learn the material more efficiently on my own." I know it sounds petty, but it's a bit of a realization for me. I'm usually of the opinion that, as long as you can stand it, you'll generally get more from going to lectures than not going, even if you space out half the time. At least you get sound-bytes for essays and exams. But no. Not this lecture. It's a powerful and liberating feeling to have made this a conscious choice.

I am reading a lot again, which is good as I am very behind. Constant headache being sick meant reading was difficult, so now I'm racing to catch up. I'm feeling a lot more on-top in general...wrote a letter to Robbie which I now just need to get a stamp for and send...caught up with some people from last year. There's still loads to do, of course, but I'm feeling much more up for it and much less like death. Though the cough is still with me.

So today should be 3-4 Philosophy, 4-5 1984 rehearsal, 6-7.30 Chinese. And that's it. For now, Chapter 4 of the Republic.

2 comments:

swallace said...

Do you get electronic copies of the lecturer's slides? If the lecturer is using WikiP as a substantive resource (vs. saying this is how the general public perceives the situation), I would send an anonymous note to the department chair complaining that this faculty member is relying on WP. I can understand a novice looking at WP as a starting place for information, but a professor relying on that for lecture notes? That's a bit of a scandal in my book!

swallace said...

ps. add copy of slides (assuming it is commonly done and not just on 1-2 slides)