Sunday, October 19, 2008

Illness, I know you love me, but I think it's time for us to start seeing other people

Sick again--snot-and-sore throat are the theme of the day(s) this time...though I think I'm beginning to recover.

Yesterday I was an absolute waste of space, but today I've written my Philosophy essay and a bunch more for 1984, all around (and, lets be honest, in) two rehearsals. Macbeth remains a waste of time, as we're doing 'character building' improvs before we get into the actual text, but its very specific to our characters and situations in the play and so is limiting in the worst way. Also, who is Banquo? I don't know. How will I find out? The script? Are we working with that? No. Next week should be better. Narnia is coming well (my current lack of voice is perfect for the wolf! All raspy and growly...Jim says I sound like Batman), although we need to do separate fight rehearsals a bit. Still, it's good fun.

What else? Have been going out at night rather than getting better. I blame peer pressure, and think it's an interesting phenomenon that I find that almost an acceptable excuse. Wonder why that is? Doubtless some odd, half-forgotten rebellion against drug education as a kid.

Learned that it is possible to make cupcake frosting with alcohol in it. Have not made said frosting, but found it intriguing.

Really excited about TROUPE. We met Saturday night, and every day we add more to a list of events (I think I may slowly change the name to 'heists', sounds cooler). Should have our first one on last week of November...I'm excited! We'll be videotaping everything and putting it online (I've started a TROUPE blog and will link to it when new stuff goes up). But it's really cool.

In that vein, last night (rather than sleeping...pshhh) I was online for quite a bit researching theatre...avant garde or just non-traditional, trying to find a list of things which are impossible to stage. I have a vague idea of doing a comedy next semester that will take something completely ill-adapted to staging and do it...my current forerunner is "The Matrix: A Hip-hop Musical". Feel free to post any ideas--I'm looking for stuff like naval battles, flight, monsters, many locations, and completely underwater. I find I'm really thinking about the nature of theatre, maybe art in general. How bourgeois of me. But: what is next? We've had deconstructionism. We're bored with it.

Found an interesting article on the future of the internet and theatre (aka the internet is an important part of our lives, how to stage it?), and just today Clare messaged me and Jessica about doing Shakespeare or something through iChat's 3 person video call. Excited, much.

Just waiting to get better....I'll get to bed soon.

2 comments:

swallace said...

Sounds like you are doing a self-designed major in theater this term! I think what is as interesting as finding material not suited to stage to take to the street is taking material written for stage or screen and adapting it for the street, taking advantage of those features you find only there. Takes a bit more work, but shifting from book to stage to film to street can present the same material in refreshingly different ways.

Brian said...

What I meant was material not suited for the stage to do ON the stage...the street stuff is completely separate.